Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) is used by trauma-informed therapists worldwide to help people gently and quickly process traumatic events.
But what does eye movement have to do with your emotional wellbeing? Everything.
Rapid eye movement (REM) is our body’s natural way of processing the events of the day when we sleep.
When it does its job, we can talk about those events without overwhelming emotion. But if what we’ve experienced is too intense for REM to work, those emotions can get stuck. And stuck emotions (aka unprocessed trauma) can lead to mental health issues like PTSD, anxiety and depression.
That’s where EMDR therapy can help
EMDR speeds up your natural emotional healing by replicating the REM part of sleep where your brain processes memories. As you focus on a painful or troubling memory, the eye movements change how it’s stored in your mind.
The result? You FEEL differently about what happened. The intensity of the memory fades.
EMDR is a speedy and effective way of unblocking stagnant emotions, processing unresolved trauma and gaining a new perspective. Even Prince Harry has tapped into its transformative power.
Wondering how it could help you?
here are 5 life-enhancing benefits of EMDR therapy
1. A greater sense of inner strength. Traumatic events can rock your sense of self, but EMDR can reinforce it. By taking power out of emotional memories, EMDR shines a light on your ability to weather the storm, accept the past and move forward with courage and resilience.
2. Deeper & more fulfilling relationships. When trauma happens in a relationship, it can be challenging to open up to authentic connection again. If you’ve experienced abuse, infidelity, addiction or simply a bad case of miscommunication, EMDR can help you wrap your brain around what happened without triggering an intense emotional reaction so you can move forward and set some healthy boundaries.
3. Professional & financial growth. EMDR changes limiting or negative core beliefs into healthier, more productive beliefs. It can liberate self-deprecating thoughts like “I’m not good enough”, “I wish I were smarter”, or “I could never do that” so you can realise your professional and financial potential.
4. Better sleep. Unresolved trauma keeping you up at night? Frightening nightmares, disturbed sleep, and insomnia are just some of the symptoms EMDR can relieve by processing emotionally charged memories. Once you’ve calmed your response to stress and past trauma, you can enjoy a good night’s sleep.
5. More joy! By combining bilateral eye movement, tapping, and audio stimulation, EMDR awakens your body’s natural healing capacity and opens the door to more positive experiences. Hello joy! After releasing painful responses to past experiences, your ability to enjoy the ride of life is exponential.
Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing is a fast track to a peaceful trauma resolution. It’s a natural way to soothe your mind, regain control of your past, and learn the skills to better cope with stress now and in the future.
Interested in exploring how this powerful therapy can enrich your life?
We’d love to support you. Book an appointment.